Pound Cake With Pizazz
featuring Café Campesino coffee
This cake is from the New Revised Moosewood Cookbook by Mollie Katzen, (1992 by Ten Speed Press). Submitted by Café Campesino’s former staffer Marsha Freed.
1 lb. butter, softened
1. Preheat oven to 350. Butter and flour the bottom and sides of a 10" tube or bundt pan.
2. In a large bowl cream together butter and sugar at high speed until light and fluffy
3. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each. Set aside.
4. Sift together the dry ingredients in a separate bowl. Mix together the coffee and vanilla. Add dry and wet alternately to butter mixture, beginning and ending with the dry. Mix by hand-just enough to blend thoroughly without excess beating.
5. Transfer 1/3 of the batter into a small bowl. Add 1 oz. (1 square) melted unsweetened chocolate. Mix thoroughly.
6. Spread the batter into the prepared pan and spoon clumps of chocolate batter on top. Using a humble dinner knife cut through to the bottom of the pan and swirl the dark and light together to create a marble effect.
7. Bake 50 to 60 minutes, or until a sharp knife inserted all the way down comes out clean. Let it cool down a bit and then turn onto a plate. Cool completely before slicing.